Other peoples memories jog my memories. Now I remember Moms telling me about how she was staying with her Father, in Oakland, when they felt the ground start shaking. It was the San Francisco earthquake. She said that she and her Father stood out on their front door step and watched as San Francisco burned and the buildings crumbled to the ground. That must have been a very scary thing to see.
Another thing - didn't Grand Dad have twin sisters, May & June. Once upon a time someone told me that June Lake was named after Grand Dad's sister! Does anyone know when June Lake got its name? Is it possible? OR was someone pulling my leg - again! I was such a believer
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
In response to Marianne's question about the possibility of Grandad having twin sisters, May and June, I did a bit of research a few years ago. Unfortunately it does not answer the question posed by Marianne, though I remember my mother talking about May and June as sisters, but don't remember the twin sister aspect. My research took me to the Genealogy Society of Siskiyou County. I was sent the census of 1880 which has the names of the following: Wm Hathaway (age 40), born in MA. Mary - wife (age 40), born in England. Children: Walter E. (age 17); Elizabeth (age 15); Wm (age 13); Alfred (age 10); Edith (age 8); Francis (age 5); Frederick (10/12 -does this mean 10 to 12 months?). He is the only child born in CA. By Edith's name, it says Twin Daughter, but there is no other sibling age 8, so don't understand. Wm, the father was a miner. This is the info I received from them. Frederick H- is living with his mother Mary and Father Wm. In 1880 he is the houngest of 7 children. He is 10 months old and born in July 1879. Wm was born in MA as was his father. Wm's mother was born in N.Y. Mary was born in England, was were both of her parents. There is a Lysander H- listed in 1876 Great Register. He is 50 years old and also from MA. Do not discount the possibility that he is related to this family. I need to do some more research, but this was quite helpful. Hope it is for you too!
Susan
Post a Comment