Empty fifths of 'Old Granddad' - wow - I never even thought of him drinking. I know that Moms never drank. I wonder when he had his drink(s)? Did he have a drink at the end of the day? Did he have a sip while in his office? The mind wonders/wanders!
I vaguely remember the incinerator but do you remember the bales and bales of tied up newspapers in the little room off the garage. They were saved for school paper drives. AND, weren't there a lot of old comic books in there too? Do you remember the old wooden Cigar Store Indian that was in the garage?
That table that was next to Granddad's chair (early version of todays recliner) is in my living room now next to a big oversized leather chair. For the longest time it was next to my Dad's chair in my parents condo in Marina del Rey. The inside is lined in thin metal because it was a humidor and it still has just the vaguest hint of the smell of tobacco.
I do remember that Granddad spent time in his home office writing letters. I have a couple that he wrote to my Dad. A dying art - letter writing. AND in those days it seemed that everyone had such beautiful handwriting. I guess a lot of time was spent in school on 'penmanship'. The internet has made keeping in contact so much easier - but - there still, to me, is something very special about a hand written letter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment