Is anyone familiar with this photo? I recognize Louse, Helen and Fred Hathaway, but I'm only guessing the little guy on the left with the impish grin is Maynard. Am I right? How about the other two children? Where was this taken and when?
What an interesting photo! It was taken in the 714 front yard a little beyond where BJ was sitting in a chair in that other photo. The trellis in the background was attached to the fence that separated the magnolia tree from the fig tree. It was pretty much coverd by vegetation in our day, but I remember it as part of the climbing experience that went with climbing the fig tree. Once, when I was big enough to want to and too big do do so, I tried climbing the trellis to get from the front yard to the back and cracked part of the trellis. (There, that's my confession, finally.)
Remember the smell of the fig tree. I passed by one last week on my bicycle and with one whiff I was back in the Windsor yard!
But who are the people?? Dad, of course (in his suit) but outdoors and swarmed with kids! I don't recognize any of the kids. If you can id them, which ones? And how old is someone so we can figure the year.
Louise is the eldest girl in the photo and Helen is in Fred's lap. I'm curious about the little guy on the left with the impish smile. Maynard? The other kids just don't register, even after immersing myself in Hathaway photos for several weeks. Anyone?
So if the date is in 1923 and the birth years are (I'm not sure about all these) Neil (1905), Clancy (1907),Louise (1912) Maynard (1913) Helen (1915?), their ages at the time of the photo would have been Neil (18), Clancy (16), Louise (11), Maynard (10)and Helen (8).
The impish grin boy is much younger than the tall girl in the back and so couldn't be Maynard, althought to me he looks more like Maynard than anyone looks like Louise or Helen! I'd sure like to see any other photos from the day! Dad looks older than his 44 yrs to me.
5 comments:
What an interesting photo! It was taken in the 714 front yard a little beyond where BJ was sitting in a chair in that other photo. The trellis in the background was attached to the fence that separated the magnolia tree from the fig tree. It was pretty much coverd by vegetation in our day, but I remember it as part of the climbing experience that went with climbing the fig tree. Once, when I was big enough to want to and too big do do so, I tried climbing the trellis to get from the front yard to the back and cracked part of the trellis. (There, that's my confession, finally.)
Remember the smell of the fig tree. I passed by one last week on my bicycle and with one whiff I was back in the Windsor yard!
But who are the people?? Dad, of course (in his suit) but outdoors and swarmed with kids! I don't recognize any of the kids. If you can id them, which ones? And how old is someone so we can figure the year.
Louise is the eldest girl in the photo and Helen is in Fred's lap. I'm curious about the little guy on the left with the impish smile. Maynard? The other kids just don't register, even after immersing myself in Hathaway photos for several weeks. Anyone?
Cyndi
Fred,
I found another photo of just Louise from that day, and it says it was around 1923, which would have made her about 11. Does that make sense?
So if the date is in 1923 and the birth years are (I'm not sure about all these) Neil (1905), Clancy (1907),Louise (1912) Maynard (1913) Helen (1915?), their ages at the time of the photo would have been Neil (18), Clancy (16), Louise (11), Maynard (10)and Helen (8).
The impish grin boy is much younger than the tall girl in the back and so couldn't be Maynard, althought to me he looks more like Maynard than anyone looks like Louise or Helen! I'd sure like to see any other photos from the day! Dad looks older than his 44 yrs to me.
Post a Comment